Last updated on October 28th, 2022 at 12:33 pm
This 3-day detox meal plan will make you feel amazing! If you’ve been eating fast food like there’s no tomorrow for a while, this anti-inflammatory diet plan is exactly what your body needs to detox and reset.
The 3-day detox below includes healthy vegan recipes that are light and can support your liver at its main function, which is to remove harmful chemicals and toxins from your body. The detox recipes are fresh and flavorful to help you feel rejuvenated and full of energy!
And I hope you will keep eating clean after the first few days!
This Anti-inflammatory Detox Is a Reset
If someone told me years, nay, even months ago I would ever be doing a detox, then I would’ve probably spit in their face. You do a detox, loser. And that spit would probably be toxic, as you will find out later.
I never believed in detoxes, I have a liver, you know?
And with a detox, what? I’m just gonna eat nothing and be better than you because of it? Stop it. Until I realized that I needed a RESET. A reset of my eating habits. Suddenly the word “detox” stopped sounding like brainwash from the 80ies. And started sounding really, really, really compelling.
This 3-day detox plan is not about staying away from food. You won’t just be juicing. The goal for this detox is to help us:
- reduce chronic inflammation
- enhance liver detoxification
- decrease cravings for sugar and other inflammatory foods
- stop thinking about food and what we’re gonna eat next all the time
- reset our taste buds & change our food preferences
- celebrate and go back to real food
- have more energy & vitality
- improve skin and maybe shed some weight
We’re Going To Achieve These By
- eating more raw foods
- drinking enough water
- having at least 3 hours between meals
- eating the last meal for the day at least 3 hours before bed
- focusing on combining foods that contain the anti-aging vitamins A, C and E
- eating more foods with a low glycemic index, as well as anti-inflammatory and detox foods
- staying away from sugar, caffeine, animal products and of course all processed foods
This 3-day anti-inflammatory meal plan is vegan, gluten and dairy-free.
You Choose When To Start
You can start this detox on Friday or you can do it during your work week. It’s your choice. I will be doing it over the weekend. This is a more gentle detox and you will not be starving.
You’ll feel light, but won’t be overeating. In case you feel hungry at some point and it’s not the time to eat yet, drink some water and then decide whether you need some food or not – then go for the snacks.
You might experience some detox symptoms like headaches (especially if you drink coffee like me), it all depends on what your current dietary habits are.
Read more The Master List of Dairy-Free and Soy-Free Foods
Two reasons for me to do this detox – What’s yours?
Reason #1: I’m eating too many carbs. I realized I eat carbs almost exclusively lately and I’m worried about my little pancreas secreting too much insulin like it’s nada.
I want to reset any insulin insensitivity I might have. My family history is all diabetes and cardiovascular diseases, so I want to prevent whatever I can, for as long as possible.
Reason #2: I want to stop unhealthy cravings. I didn’t tell you this, because I’m secretive like Beyoncé & Jay Z, but about three months ago I went to Mcdonald’s after about a year-long hiatus. I felt like a miserable dog after that. But I got a pink glass because I bought a menu. So it was all worth it, right? The things I’d do for a pink Coca cola glass.
Okay, so that wasn’t that bad. One time, I’m a human, right? That’s what I thought the next day and then the day after that. Because I went to Mcdonald’s 3 nights in a row (I told you, toxic spit). And got a glass every night. I stopped feeling miserable. I felt good. It helped me deal with the huge amount of stress I was going through at that time.
Now, this detox is not to reverse the 3 nights I spent at Mcdonald’s 3 months ago. A little too late for that, my liver. It’s to stop all the cravings I am having constantly right now.
This 3-day detox diet plan will help you reset and make you feel brand new again. After the 3 days, the goal is to continue eating clean no matter what else is going on and how many pink glasses you might miss out on.
3-Day Detox Meal Plan To Make You Feel Amazing
What To Eat:
For this anti-inflammatory plan, make sure to eat a variety of the following foods every day and make vegetables a priority (around 80% of your food).
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C-rich foods like berries, cabbage, peppers, lemons, and parsley (well, most fruits and vegetables).
- Carotenoids: These are green and orange/red foods like tomatoes (sun-dried and tomato paste are also good), carrots, spinach, kale, and arugula.
- Vitamin E & healthy fats: Great sources of vitamin E and healthy fats are raw nuts and seeds (almonds, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cashews), avocado, coconut
- Special Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory: These foods are powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory – a little bit goes a long way. We’re talking garlic, onions, herbs and spices like turmeric, cumin, chili powder, basil, parsley, ginger.
- Grains and legumes: Like chickpeas, lentils, beans, quinoa or rice. These foods won’t make the bulk of our meals (we want to focus on the vegetables most)…But they do have a good combination of fiber and protein, which will make you feel more satiated.
- Sweet Fruit: Like banana or mango, in moderation. To add some more fiber and sweetness to your smoothies.
- Water. I know, water is my favorite food! Yum. It’s important to drink enough water while doing this 3-day detox, don’t be too mean.
All of these foods help to fight inflammation and will provide your body with real energy and nutrients that have anti-aging and antioxidant properties. They’re shown to prevent various diseases and also improve bone and skin health, especially when combined together.
Foods To Eliminate
- All highly processed foods. You want to keep your food as close to its raw condition as possible.
- Animal products (meat, fish, cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs). It’s just for a few days, you can do it.
- Dried fruit, honey, all kinds of sweeteners and sugar (we’ll still eat fresh fruit). We want to keep that glycemic index lower.
- Foods containing gluten like barley, millet, bread, wheat and unfortunately some varieties of oats.
Read more Does The Military Diet Really Work?
Anti-Inflammatory Detox Recipes
These detox recipes and meal ideas are just suggestions and what I have planned for this 3-day detox meal plan. We’re all different and what works for me, probably won’t work for everyone. If you have an intolerance to one of the ingredients, you’re welcome to choose another option or add your favorite healthy recipes! As always – do what’s best for you.
Detox Breakfast Recipes:
Kiwi & Apple Green Smoothie
A delicious and refreshing green smoothie to start your day!
- an apple
- a gold kiwi
- 1 banana (small-medium)
- 2/3 cup fresh spinach / 1/3 cup frozen spinach
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
This recipe makes around 2 glasses. I would usually drink the second glass later when I need something small. This time, I will also add a tbsp of flaxseed and some cilantro to this recipe, other than that the recipe is here.
Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie Bowl
Sweet, creamy and super healthy – you’ll love this smoothie bowl.
- 1 cup strawberries, frozen, unsweetened
- 1 orange, juice
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 walnut
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
All you need to do is blend it all together, put in a bowl and eat this smoothie bowl with a spoon. You’ll find the complete recipe here.
The Best Green Smoothie
This is my personal favorite green smoothie recipe as it’s got a little bit of everything and is just so fresh and hydrating.
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 peach, frozen
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 small cucumber or 1/2 big one
- 1/3 cup almond milk or water
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tbsp soaked chia seeds
Again, all you need to do here is blend everything until smooth and enjoy!
Detox Lunch And Dinner Recipes
Detox Arugula, Tomato and Avocado Salad
Light, fresh and healthy, this salad is packed with flavor too!
- 1 cup arugula
- some basil leaves
- 2 tomatoes
- green pepper (small one)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- sesame seeds (1-2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Chop the vegetables and mix everything together. Feel free to add some nuts, legumes or grains to make it more filling. Full instructions are here.
Tomatoes, Chickpea & Garlic Salad
You will love the flavors in this tasty chickpea and tomato salad!
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 green pepper, small to medium
- 3 tomatoes, medium
- 1 cup arugula
- 3-4 mint leaves (optional)
- 1 garlic clove
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
It’s easy: Chop the vegetables and toss everything together in a bowl. Full instructions are here.
Detox Quinoa & Avocado Salad
My favorite quinoa salad! It’s fresh, it’s super nutritious and filling at the same time.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 pepper green or red
- 1/2 cup olives
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 7-8 leaves basil
- 1 tsp vinegar or ½ lemon – juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
The last time I made this recipe, it was more than enough for two servings. You can either prepare 1/2 the recipe or store the leftovers in an airtight container and eat them at your next lunch or dinner. In that case, remember to add vinegar, oil and tomatoes just before eating. Or, share it with someone else. You can find the instructions here.
No Cook Vegan Lettuce Tacos
You’ve probably never seen this many ingredients in a recipe before, but these lettuce wraps are delicious. You’ll need a food processor though.
- 1/2 cup walnuts, soaked & dried
- 1/2 cup almonds, soaked & dried
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, soaked & dried
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ginger, ground
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- some hot paprika/chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds (I grind my flax seeds using a nut grinder – they keep longer)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- black pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vinegar (I used balsamic)
- 2 small tomatoes, cubed
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- bunch cilantro / parsley or basil
- a handful of spinach or arugula
- 1 red pepper
- 1 carrot
- romaine lettuce
Read more Keto Diet Pills and Supplements May Hurt Your Health and Waste Your Money
This recipe makes 2 servings and they store in the fridge for 2-3 days. Again, keep whatever you don’t eat in an airtight container and assemble lettuce wraps just before eating. You’ll find the full recipe here.
Detox Red Lentil and Broccoli Soup
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1.5 cups broccoli
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- some mint leaves (5-10)
- some cilantro (optional)
- 1 red chili pepper (optional!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
This soup recipe makes 4 bowls. Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat before eating. Recipe here.
We’ll keep snacks super simple:
- raw almonds, walnuts or seeds
- fruit like orange, banana or berries
- or some more smoothie
- water – if that’s too boring, you can also infuse it with fruit and herbs
- herbal teas (no caffeine)
- the morning smoothies
Healthy Eating Habits
Keep at least 3 hours between meals and the last meal for the day to be at least 3 hours before bed. So if you’re going to sleep at 11 pm, the latest to be 8 pm. How you eat your meals is just as important as what you eat. So during the 3-day detox plan, try to keep these healthy eating habits.
What About Exercise?
I wouldn’t go and do anything too intense on this detox, but some yoga, pilates or barre workouts will be a great choice. These can help you to stretch, strengthen and really reconnect with your body.
I personally prefer to go out for long walks outside and just enjoy the beauty of nature. It really helps me destress and reminds me of who I actually am and what truly matters in this life. It’s not money, it’s not things…these walks and nature are magical and help me forget about the craziness in this world (or our phones). I feel like they are much needed during this 3-day detox! Why not detox from bad news as well and focus on what is good and real?
Alright! I’m very excited about this 3-day detox, I really need it. I’ll actually stop drinking coffee for a few days, which hasn’t happened, for like…well, I don’t know…I wanna say a year??
I hope you enjoy this gentle 3-day anti-inflammatory plan, if you do and want to do it together with someone, make sure to share this post with your special detox partner! Hope you have a great week!
PS: Also, if you want more gluten free dairy free clean eating recipes (however, not vegan) make sure to check out my clean eating recipe binder and use the code NTB20 for 20% off your purchase.
More Detox and The Anti-Inflammatory Diet
- 5 Anti-inflammatory Foods To Eat Daily
- 10 Worst Foods That Cause Inflammation
- How To Eat To Reduce Inflammation
This article was originally published in November 2017 and updated with new information and photos in October 2022.