My family rarely takes the traditional beach vacation. We love to be active and that’s why we love all the adventurous things to do in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, Alabama.
Wait. Alabama has beaches? YES! Gorgeous, white, sugary-sand beaches with bright turquoise waters. But they have a lot more, too. Here are five unique and exciting things to do on the Gulf Coast of Alabama.
Tour a Working Oyster Farm
Two guys, four boats, and lots of oysters. Shellbanks Selects Oyster Farm is located in Fort Morgan on Bon Secour Bay, just a few minutes outside of Orange Beach. I had the pleasure of taking a tour with them and it was a blast! We hopped on their boat and cruised a short distance off shore to see where Jarrett and Lew grow their oysters.
Now I don’t know about you, but I really didn’t know much about oysters. I didn’t even realize they had to “grow” from baby oysters! But Jarrett & Lew explained their process, and pulled up some oysters to demonstrate how to know when they are “ready.” They even taught me how to shuck an oyster and let me slurp it up – fresh out of the bay!
Later that afternoon, I headed over to The Royal Oyster in Orange Beach, where they serve up a tantalizing variety of roasted and raw prepared oysters – and they come straight from Shellbanks! Truly a farm-to-table experience.
You can take a tour with Jarrett & Lew under their new charter company called Whiteboots Charter. They offer 2, 4, and 6-hour tours with a choice of shrimping, fishing, and oyster charters. After you learn all about their oyster farm, you’ll ride to the processing plant where you can purchase them fresh off the boat!
Contact: Shellbanks Selects Oyster Farm, 251-979-1862
Get On Your High Horse
Bryanna from Crazy Family Adventure says horseback riding at the gorgeous Oak Hollow Farm was a fun way to get off of the beach and out of the sand:
The farm is home to a collection of older and very docile horses that make it perfect for riding with kids. You begin at the gorgeous farm where they host weddings and activities, then take a hay ride to where the horses are kept. Everyone gets on their horse and heads out on a leisurely stroll around the beautiful property before coming back to feed your horse a carrot. Everyone from my 4 year old (who rode with Dad) to my 10 year old enjoyed it!
Read more 34 Fun Things To Do On A Road Trip
Contact: Oak Hollow Farm, 251-928-4840
And did you know there is a life-size recreation of Stonehenge nearby? Check out Bamahenge!
You’re in Control on a CAT Boat
Kim from Stuffed Suitcase explains why she loved the CAT boat experience:
Visiting the Gulf Shores means beach time for many, but I recently took to the water on a boat I had never heard of before. CAT boats are not well known, but are a great alternative or additional activity to jet skis.
The best description of a CAT boat is to tell you to imagine two surf boards hooked together with two loungers fastened on board. There’s a powerful engine hooked to the back that can certainly give you speed, but why I loved CAT boating in the Gulf Shores Caribe Marina is because in addition to speed, you can also coast along quietly. I was able to get close to shore and do some bird watching while floating around the bay and waterways.
Contact: Orange Beach Cat Boat Tours, 251-979-7137
Ziplining for Stunning Scenery
Hummingbird Ziplines at the Wharf offers a high-adventure experience consisting of nine towers and seven ziplines over the length of one mile. The zipline course takes you as high as 90 feet of the ground, providing a great vantage point for spectacular views of the stunning coastal scenery.
Tamara from We3Travel had a great time ziplining:
My day started off with a quick intro to ziplining. This is an important part of getting comfortable on the course because it is very important to learn to brake, how to watch for hand signals, and how to self-assist using hand-over-hand on the cable if you stop before you reach the platform.
We then climbed to our first platform to start the course. The stairs might get tiring if you are out of shape, but they are solid and protected by the walls of the tower. You feel totally safe on the stairs and the platforms. There was a gentleman on our tour who was afraid of heights but he made it through okay at the encouragement of his kids. Read all about Tamara’s ziplining adventure.
Read more What Is The Best Truck For Towing A 5th Wheel?
Contact: Hummingbird Ziplines, 251-948-9494
Fisherman for a Day
Mandy from the family travel blog Acupful had an amazing fishing experience in Orange Beach:
Let me preempt by saying I am not a fisherman. But when I think back to my visit to the Coast of Alabama I immediately smile because of my exhilarating experience deep sea fishing. I spent half a day in the Gulf chasing these massive fish, learning the technique to catch 30+ pound sea life, and then gearing up to reel them in.
I never imagined that I would catch one of these large fish – the excitement and adrenaline rush I had was one of my most memorable beach experiences. The fish that we were able to keep turned into our lunch within a few hours of being caught! Once we got back to the marina, the charter cleaned the fish and prepared it for us to hand right over to the catch and cook restaurant we dined at after our fishing trip. That is no doubt the freshest fish I have ever eaten! Follow Mandy’s travel adventures at Acupful.com.
Contact: Ocean Ox Charters, 850-816-8242
As you can see, there are lots of adventurous things to do in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach when you want to take a day off from the beautiful beaches. If you’re ready to plan your visit, check out this Guide to Two Perfect Days in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, or these helpful posts:
- The Ultimate Gulf Shores and Orange Beach Travel Guide
- High Cotton Bath Company and Shopping at the Wharf in Orange Beach
- Best Restaurants in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach
- Best Cocktails in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach
- 24 Things to Do in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach
- Where to Stay in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach
— Update: 13-02-2023 — cohaitungchi.com found an additional article It’s a Great Time for Horsing Around on the Gulf from the website blog.beachguide.com for the keyword horseback riding gulf shores al.
- Make Plans to Attend the Sandestin Gumbo & Bloody Mary Festival
- Make a Splash!
- The 14th Annual 30A Songwriters Festival
- Beach Essentials You Need For The Perfect Day
- Find the Best Beer at the Beach at these Gulf Coast Breweries
- Best Beach Bars on the Gulf Coast
- Plan now for the 44th Annual Destin Seafood Festival!
- Destin Fishing Rodeo Celebrates Seafood Every October
- Escape to Waterscape!
- The 2022 Baytowne Wharf Beer Fest
- Enjoy the Beach With a Bang!
- National Shrimp Festival Brings Fall Fun to Gulf Shores
- These Dog-Friendly Beaches Welcome Your Furry Friends
- Fast Boats, Food & Fun Await at Billy Bowlegs Poker Run
- Lionfish & Libations: HarborWalk Village Brings Another First to Destin
- The 15th Annual Digital Graffiti
- The Island Resort Fort Walton
- Fishing is King in Destin!
- Beach Loving Music Fans From Around the Globe Converge on Panama City Beach for the 10th Annual Gulf Coast Jam Extravaganza
- Gulf Coast RV Parks
- Things To Do in Gulf Shores
- Crab Island: Submerged Sandbar Is Destin Hot Spot
- Top Things To Do in Panama City Beach
- Beach Wedding Venues
- 10 Fun Things To Do in Fort Walton Beach, Florida
- Emerald Coast Poker Run: Playing Cards for a Cause
- Plan-Ahead Tips for Taking Your Dog to the Beach
- Subtropical Climate Makes a Getaway to Panama City Beach a Year-Round Event
- Gulf Coast 4th of July Fireworks Schedules
- Discover Endless Fun at Destin Harbor
- Top 13 Things to do in Destin Florida
- Coastal Dune Lakes: Rare Treasures Along South Walton’s 30-A
- Emerald Coast Blue Marlin Classic at Sandestin – Fish, Fun, Prizes!
- Summer Events at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort Add Sizzle to Your Summer
- It’s LuLuPalooza Time
- Beaches Negril Resort & Spa… Perfectly Paradise
- Hangout Music Fest Planning Star-Studded Lineup for Gulf Shores
- Giddy for Graffiti
- Billy Bowlegs Festival Pirates Invade Fort Walton Beach
- Seabreeze Jazz Festival: Sea Breezes and Smooth Jazz in PCB
- Sandestin Wine Festival Promises Wine, Food, and Fun in the Sun
- The Gulf Coast is a Winter Wonderland for Cyclists
- Flora-Bama Polar Bear Dip: Chillin’ in the Gulf on New Year’s Day
- Bellingrath Gardens Magic Christmas in Lights Dazzles Guests
- The Best Gumbo in Gulf Shores
- Frank Brown International Songwriters’ Festival Spotlights Composers
- Work Remotely from the Beach with These Vacation Rentals
- Flora-Bama Mullet Toss: Fishy Fun on Florida’s Perdido Key
- Fun Outdoor Beach Activities for Kids and Adults
- Find Your Peace at the Best Secluded Beaches Along the Gulf Coast