Some danger elements put ladies at a excessive danger of breast most cancers.
Girls at increased danger of breast most cancers
Elements linked to a excessive danger of breast most cancers embody :
- A BRCA1 or BRCA2 inherited gene mutation (and first-degree family (mother and father, siblings and youngsters) of individuals with BRCA1/2 gene mutations who haven't been examined for gene mutations themselves)
- A private historical past of invasive breast most cancers or ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS)
- A private historical past of lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS) or atypical hyperplasia
- Radiation remedy to the chest space between ages 10-30
- Li-Fraumeni syndrome or Cowden/ syndrome (and first-degree family)
- An , , , , , , , , , or inherited gene mutation
- A better than 20 % lifetime danger of invasive breast most cancers primarily based primarily on household historical past (Estimate your lifetime danger or study extra about danger.)
Some elements are linked to a modest improve in breast most cancers danger (resembling normal hyperplasia). Having a couple of of those elements may put a lady at excessive danger.
Speak together with your well being care supplier about your danger of breast most cancers.
Be taught extra about estimating breast most cancers danger.
Breast most cancers screening
There are particular screening pointers for some ladies at increased than common danger of breast most cancers [38,162].
For those who’re at increased danger of breast most cancers, discuss together with your well being care supplier concerning the screening plan that’s finest for you. You might must be screened earlier and extra typically than different ladies.
Be taught extra about breast most cancers screening for ladies at increased danger.
Danger-lowering choices for ladies who shouldn’t have breast most cancers
In case you have a excessive danger of breast most cancers, choices to decrease your danger might embody:
- Danger-lowering medication
- Prophylactic mastectomy
- Prophylactic oophorectomy
Speak together with your well being care supplier concerning the professionals and cons of those choices. You might need to get a second opinion.
Take the time to make selections which might be best for you. Don’t really feel you must rush.
Insurance coverage points and monetary help
In case you have insurance coverage points (resembling what to do if a declare is denied) or need assistance paying for genetic testing, risk-lowering medication or different out-of-pocket bills, there are assets which will assist.
Find out about insurance coverage and monetary help applications.
Prescription drug help
Medicare and lots of insurance coverage firms provide prescription drug plans. One might already be included in your coverage. Or, you could possibly purchase an additional plan for prescriptions.
You might also qualify for help from applications that assist with drug prices, or provide low-cost or free prescriptions.
The Reasonably priced Care Act requires insurance coverage (began on or after September 24, 2014) to cowl the fee (with no co-payments) of the risk-lowering medication tamoxifen and raloxifene for ladies at excessive danger of breast most cancers. Be taught extra about this protection.
There are additionally generic variations of tamoxifen and raloxifene. Generic medication price lower than the title manufacturers, however are simply as efficient.
Be taught extra about prescription drug help applications.
Komen Monetary Help Program
Susan G. Komen® gives the Komen Monetary Help Program to eligible people present process breast most cancers remedy at any stage or dwelling with metastatic breast most cancers (stage IV).
Monetary help is granted to those that meet pre-determined eligibility standards.
To study extra about this program and different useful assets, name the Komen Breast Care Helpline at 1-877 GO KOMEN (1-877-465-6636) or electronic mail [email protected]
Se habla español.
Susan G. Komen® Help Sources