Welcome to the Newenglandwaterfalls.com information to the perfect mountaineering trails inside shut proximity of North Conway, New Hampshire!
North Conway is without doubt one of the most interesting mountaineering base cities in the US. There are actually 1,500 miles of trails inside 90 minutes of the city. However which trails near city are the perfect? We have put collectively this on-line information in an effort to rapidly and simply evaluation and choose a hike that is excellent for you or your group.
If you're on the lookout for detailed data on mountaineering in or round North Conway, I extremely advocate selecting up a replica of the most recent version of essentially the most trusted mountaineering guidebook the mountaineering on this space: The AMC White Mountain Information (2017 version). This guidebook presents detailed directions and maps to the entire trails listed under.
Comply with New England Waterfalls on Fb!
|TRAIL / HIKING AREA||TRAILHEAD|
|TOTAL MILEAGE||DIFFICULTY||DESCRIPTION / NOTES||TRAIL |
|BLACK CAP MOUNTAIN||Hurricane Mountain Street|
|Straightforward / Reasonable||though views are slowly dimishing resulting from tree and vegetation progress, there are nonetheless some good views (and low-bush blueberries, in season) to be discovered on this family-friendly and comparatively simple uphill hike||AMC Information|
|BOULDER LOOP TRAIL||Dugway Street off the Kancamagus Freeway|
|Reasonable||that is the perfect simple loop hike on the Kancamagus Freeway; a number of viewpoints alongside the way in which||AMC Information|
|CHAMPNEY FALLS||Kancamagus Freeway|
|Nice||3.Four miles round-trip||Reasonable||scenic waterfall on the northern slopes of Mt. Chocorua; go to in Could or after heavy rains because the waterfall is seasonal and is usually dry throughout the summer time and fall||AMC Information|
|DIANA'S BATHS||Diana's Bathtub trailhead on West Facet Street|
|Glorious||1.2 miles round-trip||Straightforward||a particularly well-liked and gratifying set of waterfalls and swimming holes||AMC Information|
|ECHO LAKE STATE PARK & CATHEDRAL LEDGE||off West Facet Street|
|Nice||as much as Four miles||Straightforward to Reasonable||stroll the simple trails round Echo Lake and/or hike the steep and difficult trails as much as the perspective atop Cathedral Ledge; see path map right here:||AMC Information|
|GLEN ELLIS FALLS||NH 16|
|Excellent||0.Eight miles round-trip||Straightforward||lovely 64-foot plunge in Pinkham Notch off NH 16; there are stairs that convey you right down to the bottom of the falls that may be very slippery when moist or icy, so watch out||AMC Information|
|HEDGEHOG MOUNTAIN||Kancamagus Freeway|
|Nice||4.Eight mile |
|Reasonable||this average loop is without doubt one of the hottest hikes off the Kancamagus Freeway; this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|IRON MOUNTAIN / SOUTH CLIFFS||Iron Mountain Street|
|Nice||3.2 miles round-trip||Reasonable||benefit from the views from the trailhead and likewise the southern cliffs a brief distance past the summit of Iron Mountain; this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|KEARSARGE NORTH||Hurricane Mountain Street|
|Glorious||6.2 miles round-trip||Troublesome||beautiful views of the jap White Mountains from the empty however enclosed fire-tower on the highest; ledges on this path could be troublesome when icy or moist; one of many most interesting half day hikes within the White Mountains; trailhead is plowed in winter, so this can be a nice 4-season hike (as soon as the snow base is deep sufficient, it's an superior snowshoe journey); this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|MADISON BOULDER||Boulder Street|
|Good||< 1.Zero mile round-trip||Straightforward||take a brief stroll alongside Boulder Street within the city of Madison and go to the biggest glacial erratic/boulder in New England; you used to have the ability to drive proper as much as the boulder, however the state closed the highway (completely?) in 2015||AMC Information|
|MIDDLE MOUNTAIN||Thompson Street,|
|Good||5.Zero miles round-trip||Reasonable||considered one of two peaks near downtown North Conway that provide stable views; you may simply mix this with a visit to Peaked Mountain as properly (provides about 0.Eight mile round-trip should you take the Center Mountain Connector path)||AMC Information|
|MOAT MOUNTAIN TRAVERSE||Diana's Bathtub trailhead on West Facet Street|
|Excellent||9.7 miles one-way||Troublesome||utilizing two automobiles (one parked on the Diana's Baths trailhead in North Conway and the opposite parked on the Dugway Street trailhead in Conway), hike throughout all three incredible peaks of the Moats; excellent views from a number of factors alongside the path||AMC Information|
|MOUNTAIN DIVISION TRAIL||US 302||Good||8.Zero miles||Straightforward||stroll, inline skating, bike, cross-country ski, or snowshoe this paved rail path in Fryeburg, Maine; this path will finally span 52 miles from Fryeburg to Portland|
|MOUNT CHOCORUA-Center Sister Loop||quick dust highway off NH 16 (Albany)||Excellent||9.5 mile loop||Troublesome||a visit that visits each Center Sister and Mount Chocorua is without doubt one of the most difficult however rewarding loop hikes within the White Mountains; right here is the loop: Piper Path > Nickerson Ledge Path > Carter Ledge Path > Center Sister > Center Sister Path > Piper Path > Mt. Chocorua > Liberty Path > Hammond Path > Weetamoo Path > Piper Path > performed; this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|MOUNT CHOCORUA-Brook Path / Liberty Path Loop||Paugus Street|
|Excellent||7.5 mile loop||Troublesome||this excellent loop includes some enjoyable scrambling and likewise a go to to the Jim Liberty Cabin, the place you may keep in a single day if you want; this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|MOUNT CHOCORUA-Champney Falls Path||Kancamagus Freeway|
|Excellent||7.6 miles round-trip||Troublesome||the Champney Falls Path > Piper Path path to the summit of Mt. Chocorua is the simplest route on Mt. Chocorua (though it's not simple by any means); take the spur loop path to Champney Falls on the way in which up; this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|MOUNT CHOCORUA-Piper Path||Piper Path Street off NH 16 (Albany)||Excellent||8.6 miles round-trip||Troublesome||that is the usual route up Mt. Chocorua from the jap facet of the mountain; this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|NORTH & SOUTH DOUBLEHEAD MOUNTAIN||Dundee Street|
|Nice||4.Zero mile |
|Reasonable||this steep path climbs as much as go to a historic US Forest Service cabin (which you'll be able to hire for in a single day use) and likewise reaches quick spur trails to a number of viewpoints; in winter when circumstances allow, backcountry skiers can ski from the cabin almost all the way in which again to the trailhead||AMC Information|
|NORTH MOAT MOUNTAIN||Diana's Bathtub trailhead on West Facet Street|
|Excellent||10.2 mile semi-loop||Troublesome||the 360-degree views on this magnificent summit are a few of the finest within the White Mountains area; do not miss splashing in enjoyable Diana's Baths on the way in which out; it's also possible to hike the Moats (North, Center and South peaks) as a 9.7 mile traverse from West Facet Street to Dugway Street in case you have two automobiles; this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|PEAKED MOUNTAIN & MIDDLE MOUNTAIN||Thompson Street|
|Nice||6.Three miles||Troublesome||get pleasure from a number of viewpoints on this near downtown North Conway hike; to get to the summit of Peaked Mountain, take the second path (the Center Mountain Connector) to keep away from the steepest a part of the Peaked Mountain Path; path map right here||AMC Information|
|PEAKED MOUNTAIN||Thompson Street|
|Nice||4.Four miles||Reasonable||that is the perfect fast summit hike close to downtown North Conway; to get to the summit, take the second path (the Center Mountain Connector) to keep away from the steepest a part of the Peaked Mountain Path; path map right here||AMC Information|
|POTASH MOUNTAIN||Kancamagus Freeway|
|Nice||4.Zero miles round-trip||Reasonable||this can be a nice quick hike off the Kancamagus Freeway that gives nice views; this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|SABBADAY FALLS||West Facet Street|
|Excellent||0.6 mile round-trip||Straightforward||take the quick stroll to the perfect waterfall on the Kancamagus Freeway; additionally go to close by Decrease Falls and Rocky Gorge whereas within the space (each are near-roadside and have well-marked parking areas)||AMC Information|
|SOUTH MOAT MOUNTAIN||Dugway Street|
|Glorious||7.Eight miles round-trip||Troublesome||get pleasure from wonderful 360-degree views from the open summit of this lovely mountain; this mountain is a part of the extraordinarily enjoyable NH 52 With-A-View mountaineering checklist.||AMC Information|
|THOMPSON FALLS||Forest Street 379|
|Good||4.7 miles||Reasonable||a quiet hike, principally alongside the Mineral Web site Path, results in a picturesque waterfall that sees few guests||AMC Information|
TIPS FOR HIKING IN THE NORTH CONWAY AREA
1. GUIDEBOOKS - Purchase the AMC White Mountain Information (2017) guidebook and truly learn every related chapter you hike every path. Doing it will make sure that you do not miss any of the perfect viewpoints and are conscious (upfront) of any potential challenges on the paths.
2. CARRY THE ESSENTIALS - be sure you carry the next gadgets on every hike: (a) map/guidebook; (b) sunscreen; (c) applicable clothes; (d) a headlamp or flashlight; (e) first-aid provides; (f) firestarter or matches; (g) knife; (h) meals; and (i) water.
3. USE TREKKING POLES - Save your knees in an effort to nonetheless hike when you're in your 70's (tip: use trekking poles 100% of the time).
4. BEWARE OF VEHICLE BREAK-INS - Do not go away something precious in your automotive. Break-ins do happen at traiheads occasionally.
5. BRING $Three CASH FOR PARKING - many trailheads within the White Mountain Nationwide Forest require a parking move. Carry $Three in money and fill out the parking allow on the self-serve kiosk at these trailheads. If you happen to do not see such a kiosk, there isn't any price to park.
6. CARRY APPROPRIATE FOOD - Carry the suitable kind and quantity of meals primarily based on the season you might be mountaineering in (some meals will soften in summer time, and a few meals change into rock-solid in winter) and the size of your hike.
7. GET SOME ELECTROLYTES - Carry some Gatorade (or one thing comparable) to get some electrolytes into your system. That is particularly vital on scorching and humid days.
8. MEETUP.COM - If you're quick on mountaineering companions, think about becoming a member of a Meetup mountaineering group (there are a number of teams they usually at all times have good hikes deliberate) or ask for companions on an area Fb mountaineering 'group'. When you attend a couple of of those social hikes, you'll doubtless make sufficient connections to hike with a couple of choose individuals that you just bond with.
9. BUGS - Bugs generally is a actual nuisance on this area from mid-Could by way of early July, though some days they're there, some days they aren't. You will most likely need to convey some DEET spray with you.
10. CATCH A SUNRISE OR SUNSET - Catch a sundown or dawn from a scenic vista (convey a minimum of one headlamp that will help you get again to your automobile safely).
11. BRING A REAL CAMERA - Remember your digicam, and bear in mind to label the images after you might be performed with every hike (you will need to seize these moments). I like to recommend that you just convey an actual point-and-shoot or DSLR digicam as an alternative of taking footage together with your smart-phone. The reason being as a result of the digicam decision in your smart-phone won't look good on pill and laptop screens 10 or 20 years from now. Pictures from smart-phones typically do not print or enlarge very properly, both.
12. WINTER SEASON - trails are typically snow and ice free within the North Conway space from mid-Could by way of early-to-mid October.
TOP EASY TRAILS IN THE NORTH CONWAY AREA
Listed here are my picks for the highest simple trails within the North Conway space:
- Echo Lake State Park
- Diana's Baths
- Madison Boulder
- Sabbaday Falls
- Glen Ellis Falls
TOP MODERATE TRAILS IN THE NORTH CONWAY AREA
Listed here are my picks for the highest average trails within the North Conway space:
- Boulder Loop Path
- Peaked Mountain
- Center Mountain
- Iron Mountain / South Cliffs
- Champney Falls
- Hedgehog Mountain
- Potash Mountain
TOP DIFFICULT TRAILS IN THE NORTH CONWAY AREA
Listed here are my picks for the highest troublesome trails within the North Conway space:
- Mt. Chocorua
- Center Sister
- Kearsarge North
- North & South Doublehead
- North Moat Mountain
- South Moat Mountain
MORE GREAT TRAILS A BIT FURTHER AWAY
If you're prepared to drive somewhat bit additional, there are lots of extra wonderful hikes inside an hour of North Conway.
- Arethusa Falls
- Flat Mountain Pond
- Greeley Ponds
- Lowe's Bald Spot
- Mt. Carrigain
- Mt. Crawford
- Mt. Pierce
- Mt. Washington
- Mt. Whiteface
- Mt. Willard
- Nancy Cascades
- Ripley Falls
- Sawyer Pond
Listed here are some useful hyperlinks for these exploring the North Conway space:
- High 25 Points of interest of North Conway = hyperlink
- High 25 Points of interest of Lincoln & Woodstock = hyperlink
- High 25 Hikes within the White Mountains = hyperlink
- Information to the White Mountains = hyperlink
- Information to the NH 4000 Footers = hyperlink
Read more 10 Best Hikes When Visiting Colorado
The next guidebook is essentially the most trusted useful resource to discovering and main you to nice hikes within the North Conway space. Click on on the e-book to learn opinions and/or to buy it on Amazon.com. I personally personal (and have beloved) a number of editions of this guidebook.
ASK A QUESTION / LEAVE A COMMENT:
Be happy to ask a query/make a remark related to this web page under. Suggestions/solutions for enchancment are additionally inspired:
Connecticut / Maine / Massachusetts / New Hampshire / Rhode Island / Vermont
House Web page / In regards to the E-book / E-book Updates / High 40 Waterfalls / Swimming Holes / How To Use This Information / Contact Us
Waterfall Pictures / High 25 New England Hikes / 4000 Footers of NH / Bigroads.com