We have all been there: Tired of our hair coloration and craving a serious change. However going from brunette to blonde shouldn't be equal to reducing off three inches, including layers, and even getting bangs. It is a main transformation. It's positively doable for (nearly) everybody, however you ought to be armed and prepared with the entire info you want earlier than lightening up.
Fortunate for you, we did the analysis and consulted prime hair coloration execs about this massive change. Maintain studying for the final word information on find out how to go from brunette to blonde hair — with out fully damaging your strands.
So can anybody go from brunette to blonde?
Sure, anybody can, based on Kattia Solano, founder and lead colorist at Butterfly Studio Salon in New York Metropolis, so long as you take into account a number of key components:
- Your hair coloration historical past. Whenever you go to the salon, "be clear about your expectations and talk about your required look, your hair texture, and hair historical past," Solano advises. Be thorough about your hair’s historical past within the session, even in case you suppose one thing is irrelevant. "Typically outdated coloration (even from a 12 months in the past or longer) might have to be eliminated earlier than a service like this or else the hair received’t raise evenly and will doubtlessly trigger harm," says Samantha Garrone, colorist at Salon AKS in NYC. Plus, the kind of dye you used (in salon or field coloration at dwelling) can have an effect on the best way your hair will take to the lighter coloration.
- Your time. "Your colorist ought to be clear about how lengthy and what number of visits it is going to take primarily based in your hair," says Solano. "Don't rush into it: Take your time, particularly for these with a protracted coloration historical past, as maintaining hair as wholesome as attainable is at all times the primary precedence." The variety of salon visits and complete time taken will range relying in your present coloration, desired shade, and hair size, texture, and historical past. "It could take one appointment if the hair gods are in your favor, nevertheless it usually takes about three to get you to the place you actually need to be," says Nikki Lee, Garnier consulting hair colorist. That is a time funding it's a must to take into account earlier than making the plunge.
- Your finances. "This could be a expensive service nevertheless it's finest to not skimp on worth in the case of a serious coloration change if you'll be able to. If you happen to’re going to do it, it is best to do it proper the primary time, so you do not have to then go in for added 'fixing' appointments. Whereas costs can range all around the nation, I might say this service can vary wherever between $300-$600 or increased in New York Metropolis," says Garrone.
- Your pores and skin tone and options. "You possibly can have probably the most stunning, completely performed blonde hair, but when it doesn’t work along with your pores and skin tone and eye coloration, it received’t do something for you," says Garrone. She advises to seek the advice of your colorist in the case of selecting the best shade as they've all gone by means of severe coaching to have the flexibility to find out this. Lee is an enormous proponent of utilizing your eyes to assist select the fitting shade. "Check out your eye coloration—if there's extra heat or cool tones—and match your hair tone to that. This could be a very useful information, as your pores and skin tone can change with the seasons. Your eye coloration will at all times be a real indication of what tone you ought to be."
How lengthy does it take to go blonde?
Put aside no less than a number of hours. "When you have virgin (uncolored) hair, it is going to at all times be simpler to go from brunette to blonde," Solano explains. Virgin hair is more healthy and stronger than pre-colored/processed hair, and is due to this fact extra in a position to deal with a course of like this. It is going to raise evenly, whereas pre-colored hair can raise to completely different ranges somewhere else, which means it may be tougher to make the colour even. "When you have everlasting coloration in your hair historical past, it is nonetheless attainable, however you are going to must be sure to and your colorist set a plan."
Initially, once you get to the salon, "a strand check [where the colorist tests the hair dye on a small hidden strand of hair] can be a should," says Lee. "Relying in your earlier coloration, this may give the stylist an concept if the purpose in your hair coloration may be made a actuality." A strand check will assessments the porosity and elasticity of hair to indicate you the way simply (or not) your shade of brown will lighten. This often takes 15 to 30 minutes and can assist assess what stage of lightening your hair can deal with.
The precise course of for going blonde differs primarily based on many components: Your preliminary brunette shade, desired blonde shade, hair historical past, and extra. Hair's pure texture can have an effect on the best way it lifts and what it may possibly deal with, Garrone provides. "Kinky hair may be extra fragile, however might raise actually quick, thick or coarse hair may be stronger, however take longer to raise," she says. However typically talking, "going two shades lighter than your pure brunette coloration would require you to make use of bleach," Solano says. And "if you wish to do a double course of blonde (vivid blonde or platinum) you may seemingly want two bleach purposes again to again, which takes on the very least 4 hours."
What must you do earlier than your salon appointment?
"Therapies, therapies, therapies," says Lee. "Hair coloration loves wholesome hair, and hair will settle for coloration with open arms when it’s wholesome as effectively; when your hair is broken and also you attempt to lighten it, it is going to break." Garrone provides, "Hair that's wholesome will often raise the best and quickest." That is why you need your hair to be in its finest situation earlier than going blonde. Solano recommends utilizing deep conditioning therapies for a month earlier than, like OGX Additional Power Hydrate & Restore + Argan Oil of Morocco Hair Masks, and in-salon bonding therapies, like Olaplex, which all three colorists suggest. Additionally attempt to decrease warmth styling the weeks earlier than going blonde.
Include hair that is not freshly-washed. It doesn't matter what stage of blonde you're going for, it is best to at all times "include hair that's not too clear and never too soiled," Garrone explains. "In case your hair is washed that day, the product can irritate your freshly cleaned scalp, and in case your hair is just too soiled, its pure oils can interrupt and stall the lightening course of." The completely happy medium? "Hair that was washed two to 4 days earlier than your appointment," she says.
Professional tip: Deliver photos to the salon to indicate your colorist your required hair coloration!
How do you go blonde steadily?
- Highlights are the easiest way to go blonde steadily. "Begin off gradual with a small quantity so your hair and eyes can get used to it and slowly add somewhat extra every time till you're on the blonde you’re trying to obtain," Garrone advises. This can be a nice possibility for much less harm, however requires extra time (and endurance) to make the change.
- Balayage, through which"highlights are hand painted throughout your head," Garrone says. "This look offers you extra of a pop and an even bigger distinction between highlights that additionally grows out steadily."
- Ombré, the place "the highlights are targeted extra in your ends and round your face, leaving your pure brunette coloration on the prime," Garrone explains. "This can be a good strategy to meet within the center since you get some blonde, however nonetheless have your pure coloration to enrich your pores and skin and eye coloration, and it is also fairly low upkeep and fewer damaging to hair."
Are you able to dye brown hair blonde at dwelling?
Not often, all of our professional colorists agree. There may be numerous room for error and you would find yourself damaging your hair. "Field dye can be advantageous for a gradual transition however not brunette to blonde," Solano says. "It is tough as a result of it tends to trigger harm, usually leaves brunette shades brassy, and may be exhausting to work with afterwards."
As an alternative, use field dye for DIY touch-ups at dwelling, after you have gotten your preliminary coloration performed in salon. "You can begin by including some lighter items all through your ends," Lee says. "Take small sections and tease them, portray the ends with the lightener so you will not have any harsh strains in your hair." She recommends utilizing Garnier Nutrisse Extremely Coloration Blondes Balayage Lightening Creme for this look.
Are you able to go from brunette to blonde with out bleaching?
All of our colorists agree: Not simply. "Coloration (with out bleach) can raise your hair, however just a few ranges, which can most definitely go away your shade wanting orange and brassy," Garrone explains.
How are you going to preserve your blonde hair and hold it wholesome?
- Reduce down on warmth styling and let your hair air dry as a lot as attainable.
- Decrease the temperature in your sizzling instruments to stop harm and at all times apply a warmth protectant throughout strands prior.
- Strive a bathe filter, like Raindrops, to assist hold your blonde from getting uninteresting.
- Introduce purple shampoo and conditioner, like Solano's favourite Kérastase Blond Absolu, into your haircare routine to battle brass and orange tones.
- Use deep conditioners and hair masks weekly to maintain your hair hydrated. Lee recommends the nice and cozy and funky blonde Garnier Nutrisse Coloration Revivers that may deal with the hair and convey again vibrancy.
- Strive a toner, a therapy that may make the blonde coloration cooler and cancel any brassy tones. Typically, instantly post-color, it could take two toners to get the fitting impact.