Stepping on a nail might trigger a puncture wound on the foot. The wound might look minor, however the puncture could also be deeper than it seems. Typically, if the wound isn’t extreme, it may be handled with out medical consideration. Different occasions, the puncture would require extra remedy than you may present at dwelling.
This text discusses what to do in minor and main instances of stepping on a nail.
What to Do
In the event you’ve stepped on a nail, there are a few elements to think about when figuring out for those who ought to search medical consideration, together with:
- The depth of the wound
- The cleanliness of the nail you stepped on
It may be tough to inform how deeply a nail penetrated your foot.
If the nail seems to have solely scratched the floor of your foot and it wasn’t rusty, it might be protected to simply maintain the wound at dwelling. Comply with these easy steps to wash and canopy the wound.
Wash Your Palms
A very powerful consideration is stopping the wound from getting contaminated. That begins with ensuring your fingers are clear. Wash your fingers with cleaning soap and heat water earlier than touching your foot.
Use your fingers to use strain to the realm across the wound. It will assist hold it from bleeding extra. Bear in mind to have clear fingers earlier than they go close to the wound.
Clear the Wound
No matter how soiled or clear the nail was, it's essential to wash the wound to stop an infection. Though it might be a bit bit uncomfortable, it must be executed.
Comply with these steps:
- First, put the wounded foot underneath working water for 5 minutes in order that the wound could be rinsed. Ideally, a saline (salt in water) answer is used. If saline isn't accessible, use bottled water.
- Subsequent, use cleaning soap to clean the affected space.
- Take a great take a look at the wound to see if there's any particles or a bit of the nail within the wound. Look, however don’t contact.
- If there's nothing seen, you're set to maintain treating the wound your self. Nevertheless, it's all the time finest to obtain recommendation from a medical skilled.
Apply Antibiotic Cream
Subsequent, apply antibiotic cream, comparable to Neosporin (neomycin/polymyxin B/bacitracin) to the wound. You don’t want a complete lot, simply sufficient to cowl the wound. The antibiotic cream will assist stop bacterial an infection within the open wound.
Cowl the Wound
As soon as antibiotic cream has been utilized on the wound, cowl it with a clear bandage. Be certain that the padding (the white sq.) on the bandage is large enough in order that the adhesive doesn’t stick with the wound.
A minor wound often could be handled at dwelling. Protecting the wound clear is the important thing.
Wash the wound often, comparable to one to 2 occasions per day, and apply recent antibiotic cream and a clear bandage after doing so. Antibiotic cream could be discovered over-the-counter, often in the identical part the place you'll discover bandages. Proceed this cycle of cleansing and masking the wound till the wound closes.
Read more Benefits of sesame oil for phlegm
If the wound is painful, over-the-counter (OTC) ache reliever medicine might assist. At all times test along with your healthcare supplier earlier than beginning any new medicine.
Stepping on a nail, whereas an accident, isn't with out its dangers. Puncture wounds on the toes usually tend to get contaminated. This is the reason cleansing the wound is extremely necessary.
Puncture wounds attributable to nails are a standard means that micro organism that trigger tetanus get into the physique. Being immunized prevents tetanus. Many individuals get tetanus pictures as a part of routine care. It's best to get a tetanus shot each 10 years. Staying updated on tetanus boosters is essential, particularly when accidents like stepping on a nail occur.
Puncture wounds additionally run the chance of extreme bleeding. Nevertheless, loads of bleeding often solely happens with extreme wounds, through which case a healthcare supplier ought to be referred to as on.
When to See a Healthcare Supplier
Typically a puncture wound attributable to a nail wants medical consideration straight away. If any of the next are true, name your healthcare supplier instantly:
- The puncture wound is massive or deep, even when it’s not bleeding loads.
- The nail that induced the puncture wound is rusty.
- The nail is caught in your foot (don't take away it your self).
- The wound appears contaminated, comparable to heat and redness, swelling, a purple streak, or pus within the space.
- You haven’t had a tetanus shot or booster within the final 10 years.
- You're immunocompromised.
If both of the next applies, name 911:
- You could have misplaced feeling within the injured foot.
- The bleeding is extreme and received’t cease (for instance, if it’s nonetheless bleeding after making use of strain for 10 minutes).
Minor wounds attributable to stepping on a nail could also be handled at dwelling in a number of easy steps. If the wound is extreme, like a deep puncture, or if the nail that was stepped on is rusty, it’s finest to see a healthcare supplier.
A Phrase From Verywell
Stepping on a nail is painful. Not understanding the situation of the nail or how deep the wound is could be scary. What to do about it is dependent upon how extreme the wound is. In the event you have been fortunate sufficient to get solely a minor scratch, the steps above will assist, and also you shouldn't want medical consideration. If the wound is greater than a scratch, seeing a healthcare supplier is your finest wager.