This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
Are you tired of acrylic and looking for an alternative to acrylic nails?
The good news is there are a lot of great alternatives out there for you to try!
Acrylic nails are a popular type of nail polish that has become increasingly popular in recent years.
While acrylic nails are undeniably beautiful, they have some disadvantages that should be considered when looking for an alternative to acrylic nails.
Acrylic nails are brittle and can easily chip or break, making them less durable than other types of nails.
Additionally, they often require a lot of maintenance, including frequent filing and shaping, which can be time-consuming and expensive.
If you’re looking for nails without acrylic this post is for you!
What Can I Use Instead Of Acrylic Nails?
When most people think of acrylic nails, they think of long-lasting nails.
While this is often the case, there are some drawbacks to acrylic nails.
One of the main problems with acrylic nails is that they can be quite damaging to your natural nails.
Another downside to acrylic nails is that they can be expensive, and they need to be regularly maintained in order to look their best.
Acrylic nails are actually quite similar to regular nail polish. While they are often considered as long-lasting artificial nails, acrylics can chip off and require a lot of maintenance.
The top 5 fake nail options other than acrylic include:
Best Acrylic Nail Alternatives
1. Nail stickers
Nail stickers or wraps, on the other hand, are one of the most popular alternatives to acrylic nails.
While nail stickers have been around for quite some time now, they are only recently becoming more popular.
The main reason behind this is that they don’t require any maintenance or special care! (Who doesn’t like a no-nonsense approach for a healthy acrylic nail alternative?!)
Nail stickers are a fun way to add extra sparkle to your nails plus are super easy to apply! They’re also a great way to change up your look for a night out.
They’re easy to apply and can be removed without any damage to your nails.
Here are five tips for applying nail stickers:
1. Choose the right sticker
There are a variety of different nail stickers available, so it’s important to choose the one that will look best on your nails. Some stickers are designed to be transparent, while others are more opaque. Some stickers are designed to be applied over polish, while others are meant to be stuck directly onto your nails.
Read more How to cut natural nails under acrylics?
2. Apply the sticker in a smooth motion
3. Start by applying the sticker in a downward motion and don’t worry about pulling it off your nail.
4. Finish the sticker with a topcoat (prevent nails from chipping and flaking)
5. Remove stickers – The most common way to remove stickers is to use acetone.
Sally Hansen Salon Effects Couture Nail Stickers
- 18 count
- Peel, apply, file
WOKOTO Solid Color Full Nail Wraps
- 20 sheets
- Red series
While nail stickers are a popular alternative for safe fake nails, there are some potential downsides to using nail stickers including:
- Can be difficult to remove if you make a mistake
- May not last as long as permanent nail polish (due to the adhesive used)
- May damage nails if applied incorrectly. However, with proper application and removal this is a great option for fake nails that don’t damage your real nails.
Related: ManiMe Review: The Best Stick On Gel Nails
2. Gel nail polish
Nail polish is one of the most popular nail products in the world. It’s easy to apply and can be changed quickly.
Gel nail polish is different from other nail polishes in that it is made with a gel base.
This means that it is more durable and lasts longer than regular nail polish.
In addition, gel nail polish is also easier to remove than other types of nail polish.
- Above comparison
- Well-known as well as a respected brand
- Wide assortment of colors and finishes
- Wide range of color
- Wide range of finishes
- Available in 70+ countries
- Huge variety of colors and shades
- Innovative & unique nail polish shades
- Favorite among beauty aficionados
- Available nationwide
Related: Essie Gel Couture Swatches And Review
If you’re new to gel nail polish, here are 5 tips to help you get started:
1. Apply a thin layer of gel nail polish to your nails.
2. Let the gel polish dry for about two minutes.
3. Apply a second coat of gel polish if desired.
4. Remove the Gel nail polish with acetone or nail polish remover.
5. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for filing and cleaning your nails.
While gel nail polish is more durable than traditional nail polish, lasting up to two weeks without chipping, there are some disadvantages to using gel nail polish.
Disadvantages of using gel nail polish include:
- Harder to remove than traditional polish
- If your nails are thin, the gel may cause them to break easily
- Can be more expensive than other types of polish
- If you have sensitive skin, gel nail polish may cause irritation
Related: 10 Best Gel Polish Brands For At Home Manicures
3. Press on nails
We can all agree that nails can be a pain to keep looking good.
Press-on nails are a quick and easy way to get long nails without acrylics and a polished look.
All you need is some nail polish, press-ons, and a little patience! #helpmejesus!
While you do need patience, the end results are worth it. Press-on nails can be used on both natural and artificial nails.
Nails are a delicate part of the body, and often times they are the first thing to show signs of wear and tear.
The downside of press-on nails is that they:
- Can damage the nail bed and can lead to nail infection and other problems
- Difficult to remove and can leave residues on the nails.
- Can cause damage to the cuticles (leading to discoloration and cracking)
- Harder to file and polish the nails properly
Glamnetic Press On Nails
- UV finish
- Reusable pastel nails
- 12 sizes
- 24-piece nail kit
KISS Gel Fantasy
- 24 super adhesive tabs
- Ready to wear
- White nails
- Pink gel glue
- Manicure stick
- Mini file
- Art deco style
- Solid pattern
MelodySusie Press On Nails
- Short, almond-shaped
- 10 sizes
- 24 pieces
- Nail file
- Jelly glue stickers
- Cuticle stick
4. Dip powder
Dip powders are a popular way to keep nails looking healthy and polished.
They come in a variety of colors and can be used as a base coat or top coat.
Dip powders can be applied easily with a brush, and they can be removed with acetone or nail polish remover.
Dip powder is a great way to add a little extra shine and protection to your nails.
Not only does it add a layer of protection against outside influences, but it can also make nails look more glossy and healthy.
How to apply dip powder for nails:
- Apply a thin layer to the nail – wait for it to dry completely
- Next, apply nail polish over top of the dip powder – wait for it to dry completely
- Add a clear coat or top coat if needed
Dip powder is a popular polishing agent used to clean nails it can also have negative effects on nails.
Related: 10 Best Nail Dipping Powder Brands
Here are five of the downside of dip powder for nails:
1. Damage nails by removing the nail’s outer layer
2. Create unhealthy nail growth – creating an environment that encourages fungus and bacteria growth is no joke!
3. Cause dryness and/or cracking in nails
4. Cause nail polish to peel
5. Can be difficult to remove
- 36 color set
- Fast-drying dipping powder
- For French dip manicure and pedicure
- Eco-friendly – odor-free and non-toxic
Beetles Dip Powder Nail Kit
- 6 neon colors for summer
- Base coat activator brush
- No LED lamp needed
- 1 nail file
- 1 cuticle pusher
- Doesn’t damage the nail bed
Morovan Dip Powder Nail Kit
- 8 colors
- Base coat
- Top coat
- Brush saver
- 1 nail brush
- 1 nail file
- 1 dip powder tray
- No lamp needed
5. Gel nail extensions
Gel nail extensions are a popular choice for those who want nails that look amazing and last for weeks, without the need for regular maintenance.
Gel nails are applied by a technician in the same way as regular nails, but they are made from a gel material that is heated and shaped to the customer’s nail.
These extensions are applied just like regular nails and require no filing or glue application – they simply attach
Gel nail extensions have many benefits over traditional nails, including that they last longer and are less likely to break or chip.
- Nail enhancement gel
- 48 W LED lamp
- 6 nude/pink colors
- Slip solution
- Top coat
- Poly extension gel nail kit
- 10 colors
- UV lamp
- All-in-one slip solution
- Nail strengthener
There are many ways to apply gel nail extensions.
You can do them yourself at home, or you can go to a salon and have someone else do it for you.
Here are four tips for applying gel extensions at home:
- Start by cleaning and conditioning your nails. (You want those puppies to stick!)
- Apply a thin layer of the gel to your nails using a brush
- Wait five minutes for the gel to start setting
- File those nails
Gel nail extensions usually last anywhere from two to four weeks, depending on how often you’re removing them.
However, there are several potential downsides of gel nail extensions, including:
- Can be difficult to remove
- May not last as long as regular nails
- May require more frequent replacement
- Can be more expensive than regular nails
Which Is Safer, Gel Nails Or Acrylic?
One key factor to consider includes fake nails that don’t damage your real nails!
Acrylic nails are generally seen as being less risky than gel nails since acrylic nails are made of a hard, brittle material that can break easily.
Acrylic nails can also chip and peel, which can lead to further nail damage.
Gel nails, on the other hand, use a soft gel material that is heat-resistant.
This means that your gel nails will not chip or peel and they will last longer than acrylic nails.
Acrylic nails also don’t require an adhesive, making them less likely to cause skin irritation or allergic reactions.
However, acrylic nails can also be more difficult to remove than gel nails, and they may require a higher-quality remover.
Ultimately, it’s important to choose a nail polish that will work best for your personal style and needs.
In conclusion, there are many alternatives to acrylic nails available.
While they may not be as long-lasting as acrylic nails, they are a more natural option that is still chic and stylish.
So, if you are interested in trying something new, or you are looking for an alternative to acrylic nails, consider one of the following options: nail stickers (wraps), gel nail polish, dip powder, or gel nail extensions.
You May Also Like:
- 10 Best Gel Polish Brands For At-Home Manicures
- 8 Best Polygel Nail Kits To Try in 2022
- What are Solar Nails? Pros and Cons of Solar Nails
- Supplies For Acrylic Nails: Everything You Need